What's Up Wednesday-Easy Risotto

This weeks business has really been limited to filling orders, packaging, mailing and label making. And, since that is hardly revolutionary, I thought I'd tell you about a great recipe I came across on AllrecipesI absolutely LOVE risotto, but the twenty minutes of stirring is for the birds! Although I have done it a few times, since the rest of my family really doesn't care for the taste of risotto, it isn't worth all that effort. Of course I was doubtful when I saw this microwave risotto recipe, but I decided to try it the other night when I was hungry, alone, and had just a smidge of arborio rice left in the jar. 

One of the neatest things about the Allrecipes site is that it will re-size any of its recipes for you. So not only did I NOT have to stir forever, I didn't have to do the math to get a serving size of two! Yes, I did it for two, did I mention that I love risotto? Lol Not to mention, this recipe took care of the last of the rice. Anyway, I was rather skeptical, as you probably are if you are familiar with risotto. Everyone always says that you can't reheat risotto, and microwave food is usually rough, so I just assumed that this would be a dud. But I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised! In fact, I was gob smacked! This was a truly good risotto! Although I think it would have been rather bland without the wine, so you may want to consider that and bump up the spices if you choose to use all broth. 

I did make a few changes to accommodate my personal preferences. I used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, a bit more onion and garlic than was called for as well, and Gorgonzola cheese instead of Parmesan cheese, just because it was what I had that was fresh.

In attempting to follow the directions to the letter, I found that I needed to add a tad more liquid than it called for during step four. This may have been because my lid wasn't tight enough (I used a Pyrex dish and its glass lid), but I didn't need that much more, just a jig, at about 7 minutes in. I have to say that it looked and tasted  perfect. It was every bit as good as the squash risotto that I stirred for nearly a half an hour at Thanksgiving! I will most certainly be preparing mine this way in the future, and with chicken, pumpkin, squash and whatever else I can think of!  But don't take my word for it, try it yourself! 

By the way, this recipe received 4 1/2 stars out of 5 stars on the sites rating scale, and that was from 169 reviewers. More than 3,763 people have saved this recipe. Of course, you can make that 170 when I add my review! 

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
  • 3/4 cup white wine
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

  1. In a 3 quart, microwave safe casserole dish combine butter, garlic and onion. Place dish in microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes.
  2. Place vegetable broth in a microwave safe dish. Heat on microwave until the broth is hot but not boiling (approximately 2 minutes).
  3. Stir the rice and broth into the casserole dish with the onion, butter and garlic mixture. Cover the dish tightly and cook on high for 6 minutes.
  4. Stir wine into the rice. Cook on high for 10 minutes more. Most of the liquid should boil off. Stir the cheese into the rice and serve.

No comments: